Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Walkin' to New Orleans


OK, I didn't exactly walk, but Fats Domino was a native of New Orleans, among other luminaries, so he gets first mention in this blog entry about the Kiwanis International (K.I.) convention this past week.  Of course, New Orleans brings out the festive, and I was able to capture some of this with my camera.  Many individuals dressed in costume captured my attention as I walked through the cavernous exhibition hall, which over the period would fill with people in all sorts of attire. All seemed involved in advocating candidates for future office.  We Floridians often dress in orange, including a sports jacket with Kiwanis lining that my wife considers garish.   As the saying goes "every party has a pooper".  I found it easier to capture some pictures off the monitors, I was so far back in the hall.
Mayor Mitch Landrieu
Kiwanis members from as far away as Australia and the orient were there, along with Europeans.  In fact, the newly elected President of K.I. is a German fellow.   Last year's convention was in Geneva, next years will be in Vancouver, so we're truly an international philanthropic organization "serving the children of the world"  Close to two thousand people attended this most recent annual meeting, and I was privileged to represent my Longboat Key Kiwanis chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment